How To Crochet Scalloped Edging
Scalloped edgings are great for sweater trims, hat
trims, pillowcase edges and more.
They can even be used as simple laces for anything. There are many
stitches and patterns
to make scalloped edgings. Here are a few basic ones:
Make 4 chains. Work 1 dc and 1 treble into the first of these
4 chain, *turn the work and 3 chain, work 1 dc and 1 treble into
previous treble, repeat it from* for length required.
Make 5 chains and join into a ring with a slip stitch. Into this
loop work 6 dc, 4 chain, 1 dc, and turn. Repeat the pattern for
the required length.
1. Work a number of chains divisible by 8, plus 1, for the required
2. 1st row: 1 dc into 2nd chain from hook, * 1 dc into next chain,
repeat the pattern from * to the end.
3. 2nd row: 2 chain, miss first dc, *3 chain, miss 3 dc and into
next dc work 1 dc, 5 chain to form picot (1 double treble into same
dc, 1 picot of 5 chain) twice and 1 dc all into the same dc forming
clover group, 3 chain, miss 3 dc, 1 dc into next dc, repeat the
pattern from* to end.
4. Finish off. Thread ribbon between dc of the first row for that
extra special touch.
This is the simplest of all double crochet and can be worked backwards,
forwards or even in circles, as in around the cuffs.
1. 1st row: Work along edge using double crochet. If working a
circular edge, join with a slip stitch to the first stitch.
2. 2nd row: If the work is in circular pattern, work base along
the round already made, making one double crochet in each double
crochet and working from left to right instead of the normal right
If you are working in rows then do not turn the work but simply
make one double crochet in each double crochet that has already
been made. Fasten off and you are done.
Work 2 chains, *into the first of these 2 chains, insert hook,
yarn round hook, and draw through 1 loop. There are now 2 loops
on hook. Into the loop nearest the hook, point works 2 chains. Slip
both loops off hook and insert hook back only in to the loop further
to the left. Without turning your work, repeat the pattern from
* until edging is of the required length. Now finish off and enjoy
the pretty pattern.